Saturday, April 20, 2013

Paging The Tooth Fairy!

Well, the last several days in American history have sucked donkey dick. I remembered all too well how shitty the period immediately following 9/11 was as I watched way too much cable "news" this week, saying things to myself like WTF? and "I really need to go for a run now" but somehow being unable to remove my ass from the sofa. But I do not wish to wallow in the suckitude here, because, I hope, life goes on. And thankfully, my kids' childhoods do not brake for national tragedies. Onward!

****
The silver lining capping off this week? My 5-year-old lost his very first baby tooth today. One of his front teeth!

It had been wiggling for the last two weeks, then he noticed some blood around it this morning and asked me (the queasier parent, natch) if he should try pulling it out. To which I said, "Uh, do whatever feels ok to do, I guess?" He decided to leave it alone.

Later, DH took him out for a doughnut and a playdate with a friend his age whose parents recently filed for divorce. I soon got the text: "1st tooth out!!" along with a picture of our little dude smiling proudly.

Having recently watched the movie "Rise of the Guardians" on family movie night, DS announced that  The Tooth Fairy would of course be dropping in tonight. He wasted no time placing his tooth under his pillow, hours before bedtime.

I'm told The Tooth Fairy sometimes leaves poems like the following (printed on paper cut into the shape of a tooth if the ol' Fairy is feeling crafty or is high on some of that childhood magic):

Dear Toothless Wonder,

While you lay sleeping, I came in the night.
Under your pillow was a marvelous sight -- your very first tooth!
It has come unstuck.
You're a big kid now.

Much love, and good luck!

--The Tooth Fairy


My kids are growing up faster than I can comprehend. Now the boy really looks old - and really nothing like a 5-year-old. But it's all good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My six year old still has his full set. One of these days...

hush said...

6-7 is the usual age for losing the first tooth.

I lost a bunch all at once. Right after my 6th birthday, I remember being asked to sing "All I Want For Xmas Is My Two Front Teeth."

Cloud said...

My 6 year old has lost her bottom two- lost them when she was about 5 1/2. Her top ones have been wiggly for ages, too.

I'm finding lots of reminders about how my kids are getting big these days. Mostly that is a good thing. But I'm going to miss the snuggles when my 3 year old stops giving them out.

Anonymous said...

My eleven year-old has just a couple more baby teeth to go. In fact, he had to have two of the last four pulled because the roots were so long they would never have come out on their own (hubby had to have the same thing done). It will be a sad day for me when the tooth fairy visits him for the last time. He is the most imaginative of souls and, I think, is employing an entirely willing suspension of disbelief regarding all sorts of magical childhood wonders. I adore that about him.

In our house, the fairy brings foreign coins (the sort that might have been collected by a couple of relatively well traveled, coin-collecting individuals over the course of their lives pre-kids) plus lots of gold presidential dollars, Susan B. Anthonys, and Sacagewea dollars, which our tooth fairy finds are easily acquired at the local savings bank. Each of our kids has a special box for "tooth fairy money" to keep the special stuff separate from their more mundane piggy bank loot.

One of my all time favorite photos of my daughter is the teary one I took of her smile after she lost her first tooth, just after she said to me, "Mama, do people sometimes cry when they loose their first tooth?" Such a fabulous, emotional, bittersweet moment for all of us. Enjoy!!!

Oh, and we just watched Rise of the Guardians a week or so ago on movie night. What fun, what fun!

hush said...

@Cloud - Yes, sooo many reminders about how big the kids are getting. My son is over 4' tall and makes his own breakfast! My daughter gets dressed all by herself and doesn't want my help with anything! Wait, what? I hope they don't ever get "too big" to let me hold them.

@Got It, Ma! - Your kids sound awesome, and I love the special currencies your Tooth Fairy brings. I didn't know that about too-long tooth roots. (Dentistry both fascinates and horrifies me.)

Isn't "Rise of the Guardians" such a neat movie? DH and I were both very charmed by it. We also had fun i.d.'ing the celebrity voices.